- Turn signaling: Signal continuously
for 100 feet before the turn in urban areas,
200 feet above 40 mph
- U-turns: Permitted where you have sufficient sight distance and there
are no signs prohibiting it
- No parking allowed within 30 feet of a stop sign/traffic signal/railroad
crossing, on a bridge, in a tunnel, or within
15 feet of a fire hydrant
- Passing on the right: Legal when there are two or more lanes in one
direction. No passing on the shoulder.
- High beam headlights: Dim them when within 500 feet of an oncoming
vehicle or when following a vehicle within 200
- When on a one-lane steep road, the vehicle going downhill yields to the
vehicle coming uphill.
State law says if you are involved in an
accident on a freeway/expressway and there are
no injuries, the vehicles are driveable and
drugs/alcohol are not suspected, then you are
required to get the vehicles out of traffic
lanes. It's a myth you have to wait for the
cops to show up before you can move the cars.
For every one minute an accident sits in
traffic it causes five minutes of delay for
Seat belts are required for:
- all drivers
- all front seat passengers
- children up to 16 years old
Booster seats are required for:
children from 4 to 6 years old until they are
55 inches tall
Front-facing safety seats are required for:
children from 1 to 4 years old who weigh 20 to
Rear-facing safety seats are required for:
children under 1 year old who weigh less than
Exceptions to the seat belt law include
ambulance and police workers, people with
physical/psychological disabilities that get
approval, buses, and mail carriers/delivery
A seat belt violation is not a primary
violation, meaning one has to be pulled over
for something else before one can be cited for
Graduated Licensing Laws
- Learner Duration and Hours Supervised Driving : 12 mos./50 hrs.
- Learner Permit Min. Age : 5 w/driver. ed; 15 yrs. 6 mos. w/4-hr. driver.
awareness course; 16 w/out either; under 18
yrs. requires parent/guardian affidavit for
- Intermediate Nighttime and Unsupervised Driving Restriction : midnight
to 5 a.m.
- Intermediate Minimum Age : 16 w/ 1 yr. lrnr. Permit
- Intermediate Passenger Restrictions under 16 yrs. w/lrnr.permit, no
- Except driver. Instructor, parent or legal guardian; over 16 yrs.
w/lrnr. Permit, no pass. under 21; under 18
yrs. w/driver license, no pass. under 21 yrs.
until driver. Licensed for 6 mos.; no more than
1 pass under 21 yrs. until driver. licensed for
12 mos. ; no more than one pass. in front seat
of a vehicle driven by a person under 17 yrs.,
and the number of pass. in back seat cannot
exceed number of seat belts; all pass. with
drivers. under 17 yrs. must wear seatbelts; no
cell phones while driving Full License Minimum